Health information technology (HIT), also known as "health IT," refers to a collection of electronic systems used by healthcare institutions to store and share health information. Data stored within a health IT system may include:
- Electronic health records (EHR), which stores patient clinical data and their chart.
- Practice management (EPM/PM) systems, which handles patient scheduling and billing.
- Personal health records (PHR), which allow patients to share additional information about their visits and lifestyle.
- Electronic prescribing, which are digital prescriptions.
- Clinical decision support (CDS) systems that help improve diagnosis and treatments.
One of the primary concerns when implementing and utilizing a HIT system is to ensure the privacy and security of the sensitive patient health information stored within. To maintain the appropriate security protections, healthcare institutions are required to undergo regular compliance audits and comply with HIPAA.
Benefits of Health Information Technology
Many of the benefits of health information technology result in a higher quality of care and more efficient processes enjoyed by both patients and healthcare professionals. These benefits include the following.
One of the primary advantages of health IT is that it improves collaboration across healthcare facilities. With rapid information sharing, patient records submitted by one institution may be available at other institutions the patient frequents within seconds, vastly improving the quality of care. Likewise, patients may also gain early access to records like test results, so they don't have to wait for a doctor to call them.
By sharing documents across healthcare institutions, patients and physicians will no longer be required to re-enter the same medical history with each admission. In turn, this improves the patient experience, boosts the efficiency of medical staff, and helps to ensure complete and accurate records. Since patients can access and update their records digitally, they are more likely to have reliable records.
Since health IT makes the entire admissions and assessment process more accurate and efficient, patients will be out the door sooner. With electronic prescribing, they can also get any necessary prescriptions more accurately, securely, and faster. Information is sent directly to their pharmacy of choice so they can pick it up immediately, with no need for paper prescriptions changing hands.
How TempDev Can Help With Health Information Technology (HIT)
TempDev’s team of experienced consultants, developers, and trainers are here to support enhanced accessibility, as well as customized features and templates. This enables you and your patients to have more control over data with improved transparency.
As part of our streamlining process, we help you implement the Patient Portal, API, and other tools to better support safety, patient engagement, and security. From dashboards to automation and workflow redesign, TempDev offers the comprehensive resources and tools you need to ensure compliance.
Contact us here or by calling us at 888.TEMP.DEV to improve your health information technology experience.
- Health Informatics
- Health Information Management (HIM)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Community Health Center (CHC)
- Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
- Health Information Exchange (HIE)
- Personal Health Record (PHR)
- Regional Health Information Organization (RHIO)
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
Agree with our point of view?
Become our client!
Please submit your business information and a TempDev representative will follow up with you within 24 hours.