Telehealth is the practice of healthcare providers having patient visits either virtually or telephonically. It is the exchange of medical information via electronic or digital communication. Telehealth appointments now include video calls and telemonitoring devices that allow doctors to monitor the health status of their patients using information processing technology. At TempDev, our goal is to help you better understand and take advantage of the benefits of telehealth, as well as remote patient monitoring (RPM).
Initial evolutions of telemedicine involved only audio exchanges between doctors, nurses, and patients. It has quickly become something far more comprehensive and interactive. Telehealth is an evolving phenomenon, and it doesn’t show signs of slowing down. Contributing factors to its jump in popularity include the recommendations for social distancing from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as the expansion in coverage of telehealth services by Medicare and other healthcare payers.
Medical practices across the US have embraced the evolution, leading to that 154% jump in telehealth appointments. Telehealth is more than just a trend. It’s a revolution, and TempDev’s consultants are here to help you and your practice prepare for the inevitable requirements for healthcare and patient management.
What are the Benefits of Telehealth?
Some 35% of patients say they would consider replacing their healthcare providers with quality telehealth providers, and 43% of patients say they are likely to continue their use of telehealth visits. With those trends, it’s important that practices understand the benefits of telehealth. Here’s a quick rundown.
- Telehealth can save both a healthcare practice and patients time and money if implemented efficiently and used correctly.
- Providers have the potential to access and support a wider pool of patients, even those who have been traditionally underserved in their community.
- Telehealth allows more immediate access to patients when they need it the most, particularly for chronic care management and acute conditions.
- The medical team can gain direct access to patients for an assessment at any time. Instead of waiting for an appointment, they can receive direct and immediate intervention.
- Telehealth is also helpful for mental healthcare support. Even if the practice doesn’t directly address these concerns, they can quickly refer patients for therapeutic support if they are experiencing anxiety, stress, depression, or other issues.
Virtual telehealth appointments offer convenience and comfort that have long been considered impossible in a traditional doctor-patient relationship. Patients can gain the assessment they need, which should lead to better outcomes through counseling, diagnosis, family involvement, and treatment options.
TempDev is here to assist your practice as you prepare for the demands of telehealth and RPM devices. As you learn to better configure your NextGen electronic health record (EHR) systems, you’ll achieve unprecedented levels of engagement with your patients.
Agree with our point of view?
Become our client!
Please submit your business information and a TempDev representative will follow up with you within 24 hours.