Electronic Health Record (EHR) & Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems offer an efficient way for providers to document a patient’s chart, easing the burden of paper forms, and creating more time to see patients. Not all systems are designed equally, and each has its advantages and obstacles. TempDev's consultants are consistently looking for new opportunities to improve NextGen EHR usability, thereby increasing productivity for both physicians, staff, and IT departments.
What is EHR usability?Electronic Health Records (EHR) usability factors include efficiency, effectiveness in carrying out specific tasks, and user-friendliness. EHR usability is just as critical as technical components like software features and functions. An EHR, such as NextGen EHR, with high usability, has the following traits: ease of use, increased efficiency, intuition, forgives mistakes, and is fast to document patient care. The goal is to reduce the amount of time doctors and nurses spend on non-patient tasks and keep their minds more focused.
Benefits of NextGen EHR UsabilityAn easily used EHR is an essential factor in providing high-quality patient care. NextGen EHR provides your staff with many ways to reduce the documentation burden and increase patient safety. For example, performing CPOE with NextGen can eliminate instances of illegibility issues with orders and prescriptions. A streamlined NextGen EHR workflow allows for more time to be spent on patient care, while increasing efficiency and reducing the likelihood of physician burnout. There are many ways NextGen EHR & TempDev can help your practice harness the power of your NextGen EHR, improve usability, and maximize productivity including:
Implement NextGen EHR Essentials to Improve Patient Care and Increase ProductivityThe absolute essentials needed in a NextGen EHR implementation are:
- Clinical tasking - Reduce email clutter and regularly communicate with staff for the care of patients by effectively utilizing clinical tasking.
- Reports - Often times clinical tasking reporting is overlooked and when tasks aren't routinely followed up with, it can be to the detriment of both productivity and patient care. TempDev has developed a flat-rate, NextGen EHR Task Audit Report to ensure staffing compliance with completion of tasks.
- Electronic prescribing - Improve patient safety issues and the accuracy of medication reconciliation by implementing all features of SureScripts and NextGen EHR eRx.
- Online forms - Implementing solutions such as NextGen Patient Portal, Medfusion, Instant Medical History, or Phreesia online forms where patients are able to input their own health data improves clinical accuracy, patient satisfaction, and reduces staff data entry.
- Interoperability functions - Your team receives a myriad of benefits by unleashing the interoperability functionality of NextGen EHR, such as ordering and receiving radiology and lab test, pharmacy fill notifications, and automating the import of discrete data and documents from providers outside of your organization.